Re: 13.1.2 Warnings

From: Daniel DuBois <dan@spyglass.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:46:13 -0700
To: Ari Luotonen <luotonen@netscape.com>, Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>    Warnings are always cachable, because they never weaken the transparency
>    of a response. This means that warnings can be passed to HTTP/1.0 caches
>    without danger; such caches will simply pass the warning along as an
>    entity-header in the response.
>
>This is not right.  HTTP/1.0 cache will cache this header, and the
>Warning will remain in the cache file even if the entity is up-to-date
>checked later.  So clients could e.g. see a warning saying that the
>response may be stale even if the proxy just did an up-to-date check
>and it was ok.

What part is not right?   "never weaken the transparency" is right.  A
warning that the thing is stale even if it's not, doesnt weaken
transparency. "without danger" might not be right if you use an extremely
liberal definition of danger.

-----
Daniel DuBois
I travel, I code, I'm a Traveling Coderman
http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/