Re: Summary of opinions on Negotiate header

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Koen Holtman wrote:
> The 'Negotiate' header can also be used *today* with a simple CGI
> script. I have such a script running under
> http://gewis.win.tue.nl/conneg-bin/stats.  I'm not an expert on the
> internal apache module interfaces, but from what I have read, adding
> something which uses Negotiate is relatively simple.

Hello, yes, a module could be used for this. However, I've already written
code for Apache which implements draft 2 of transparent negotiation*. This
is an extension of the existing server-side negotiation module,
mod_negotiation, which is part of the standard distribution.

Hopefully this code will make it into the next release of Apache for
others to experiment with. It will be commented out by default because it
doesn't quite implement everything*, and because the draft is rather
changeable at the moment.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, Technical Director, UK Web --- http://www.ukweb.com/~paul/
Apache Week: Latest news on Apache server... http://www.apacheweek.com/

* my code does not implement features or cache control. The former because
it seemed to be in flux (and indeed draft 3 has extended it a bit), the
later because I'm not confide I fully understand cache issues at the
moment.