Re: Summary of opinions on Negotiate header

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 19:39:30 -0700
To: Rich Salz <rsalz@osf.org>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>>I would prefer `Negotiate: t' myself, since the 'cn' serves no useful
>>purpose given the context.  I was thinking of using `Negotiate: a'
>>for pure agent-driven negotiation (without the proxy mumbo jumbo).
>
> Please no.  Is the savings of "cn" or "gent-driven" enough to justify
> (a) the possible confusion; and (b) the rush to use the other 24 letters?

(a) there will be no confusion (it isn't subject to English interpretation,
    only mechanical)

(b) every single byte on a request message matters if it is the one
    that causes the request to exceed two TCP packets.

and I'll add,

(c) namespace collision is not an issue provided that the syntax
    remains open-ended (a token) for other directives.

and "tcn" is no more meaningful than "t" in this context.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/