Re: Distributed Authoring Requirements Draft

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 00:03:33 PDT
To: ejw@kleber.ICS.UCI.EDU
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> It is my understanding from email with Larry Masinter that the
> topic of distributed authoring is currently not in scope for
> inclusion in HTTP/1.2, and will most likely be specified as a
> future PEP extension.  However, you may find that the issues
> discussed in this draft affect other proposals which are under
> being considered for HTTP/1.2.

minor clarifications:

"in HTTP/1.2"
  We only increment the version number if we have to (e.g., if
  it's important for clients or servers to know the intent of the
  other party by looking at the version sent in the transaction).
  There are authoring systems shipping now that work with 1.0.
  It's not clear that the HTTP version number matters.

"will most likely be specified as a future PEP extension"
  While this may be a possibility, there are lots of other
  possibilities.

Larry