Re: Netscape vs. Digest

At 6:05 PM -0700 1996-08-27, Alex Hopmann wrote:

>>To the best of my
>>knowledge Microsoft also does not support digest.  Some earlier
>>versions of MSIE supported digest authentication, but the latest
>>version has apparently withdrawn that support.  (These comments are
>>only based on experience with the Mac version of MSIE so maybe things
>>are different with Windows).
>
>I was actually speaking with the MSIE folks about this just today- They
>removed the digest support because they couldn't find any servers to test
>it against. They have assured me that it will be back in the next version.

Actually, spyglass has such servers as do I. You can test the digest support
from the examples/documentation at http://wilson.ai.mit.edu/cl-http/cl-http.html,
along with other 1.1 features. We tested implementation against theirs about
a yaer ago when we first did it.

I vote for a *must* on digest authentication. We would be much happier using
it rather than basic on a number of public web pages.  Of course, MD5 does have
it shortcomings so it is important to implement the extensions that allow
the algorithm to be specified.