Re: Netscape vs. Digest (?)

From: Daniel DuBois <dan@spyglass.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 11:37:15 -0700
To: Michael Smith <ms@gf.org>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
At 02:22 PM 8/27/96 EDT, Michael Smith wrote:
>Is it true that Netscape opposes Digest? Why? Is there anybody from Netscape
>on the list who can comment on this? Failing that, is there anybody not from
>Netscape who's willing to offer a hypothesis?

There was a marketing exec from Netscape at the last IETF meeting that said,
and my paraphrasing isn't that far from a direct quote: "Netscape is not
doing Digest.  Why bother doing Digest, when we have SSL.  You IETF guys
will take forever to get it standardized, and by then something better will
be around."

-----
Daniel DuBois, Traveling Coderman -- NEW! http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/
         Roses are red, violets are blue, this .sig doesn't rhyme.