Re: HTTP/1.1 + Digest

At 01:31 AM 8/27/96 -0700, David W. Morris wrote:
>design point to support BASIC w/o DIGEST. SHOULD support DIGEST provides
>an opportunity for carefully reasoned escape where other features are
>probably worth more of the implementation effort.

We all know exactly what we're talking about here:

"SHOULD" is clearly not going to get Netscape to support Digest.  As long as
Netscape doesn't support Digest, people will be shipping their passwords
around in clear text for years to come.  The only thing that we can *hope*
will get Netscape to support Digest is the threat of slapping "HTTP/1.1
uncompliant" on them publicly and hope it shames them into supporting it.
So that's what we're doing.  Bad reasoning?  Bad precedent?  Bad form?  All
these things and more I'm sure, but the end justifies the means.

-----
Daniel DuBois, Traveling Coderman -- NEW! http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/
         Roses are red, violets are blue, this .sig doesn't rhyme.