Re: Confusion about Age: accuracy vs. safety

From: <jg@zorch.w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 17:24:41 -0400
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU, mogul@pa.dec.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

History has shown that getting bad data in a cache has had major
headaches associated with it.

I believe we should stay with Jeff's conservative algorithm, and this is why
I have not to date made any changes in the specification; I will of course
go with the consensus of the group, but to date, I've not seen
a good case made by Roy.  Not surprising users is a very good thing;
if the web is unreliable, it will generate many more problems than whatever
small performance gain might be available with a more optimistic algorithm.

			- Jim Gettys