Re: New document on "Simple hit-metering for HTTP"

From: <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 96 22:31:16 -0400
To: paulle@microsoft.com
Cc: hallam@ai.mit.edu, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>But just being notified isn't enough, right? The proxy has to implement
>the extended log format in order to transfer the information in a
>standard way, and so on with session IDs.

Nope, session ids are orthogonal but are needed if you want to do
session tracking behind a proxy. I think that this is necessary for
both your scheme and mine.

The extended log format can be implemented in an afternoon with
little trouble provided the items logged are fixed. If you go for
allowing a choice of the items to log it gets trickier but not

The pain for Xlog is for the analysis tool writers, not the server
writers :-)