Re: Conventions for Sharing User Agent Profiles

From: Kevin Kenny <kennykb@cobweb.crd.ge.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 96 16:24:12 -0500
To: Fisher Mark <FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com>
Cc: "'David W. Morris'" <dwm@shell.portal.com>, 'Koen Holtman' <koen@win.tue.nl>, 'Simon Spero' <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>, HTTP Working Group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com said:
> David: I am still unclear from what you have written as to whether
> you are  fighting browser bugs (tags not displayed properly, memory
> violations, etc.)  or fighting presentation issues?  My firm hope is
> that as both major browser  vendors move to style sheets, that much
> of the "negotiate on user-agent to  enable proper presentation" stuff
> can go away.

I can't speak for David, but I maintain a data base of browser capabilities
to fight browser bugs.  Among others are

	- a number of browsers get confused if there are multiple
	  <INPUT TYPE=IMAGE> with the same SRC= attribute.

	- a number of browsers get various mysterious failures and
	  rendering errors on anchors in tables.

Those are the two big ones on my site.  There are probably some others.
Neither of these is a presentation issue.

I don't think browser vendors will provide a content-negotiation string
listing their bugs.  8-)
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin KENNY   GE Corporate Research & Development
kennykb@crd.ge.com           P. O. Box 8, Room KWC273