Re: Conventions for Sharing User Agent Profiles

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 14:47:20 +0200 (MET DST)
To: ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu
Cc: mogul@pa.dec.com, jg@zorch.w3.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Simon Spero:

>My actual proposal ended up not using URLs to fetch the data;

Simon,

I was not aware that you had an actual proposal.  My thoughts on how
long it would take to go from here to deploying such a mechanism could
have been too pessimistic.

Could you post your proposal, or post a pointer to it?  What is your
guess on how long it would take to extend your proposal into a
complete internet draft?

I'm particularly interested in what you propose to include in the UA
profile.  There is a tradeoff between covering a larger area of
negotiation and getting more `profile cache misses' with your scheme,
and I'm wondering where you stand on this.  I guess you won't be
putting `dimensions of the UA window in pixels' in the profile, but
where do you stop exactly?  How many `profile cache misses' do you
estimate under your proposal?

BTW, I recently did some statistics on an apache user agent log file,
and I counted 1673 different user agent strings (after any `via proxy
...' stuff has been stripped off, but _with_ comments like
`(Macintosh; I; 68K)').

>Simon

Koen.