Re: Sticky stuff.

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 23:09:08 +0200 (MET DST)
To: hallam@etna.ai.mit.edu
Cc: jg@zorch.w3.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
hallam@Etna.ai.mit.edu:
>[...] however the question which I was raising was whether
>compressing the body of the message was more relevant than
>compressing the headers.

Here is a version of the answer:

 - sticky headers: 1-4% traffic savings
 - compressing text/html and text/plain entities in relayed

Now, why is there so much fuss over sticky headers?  Ever since Accept
headers dropped below 1.4K, they are a solution in search of a
problem.  If this group were to produce a sticky header spec, the spec
would only distract vendors from implementing optimizations which are
actually worth the effort.

Koen.