Re: Conventions for Sharing User Agent Profiles

From: <hallam@etna.ai.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 96 18:53:21 -0400
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: hallam@etna.ai.mit.edu, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

>Transparent content negotiation does away with this limitation, and
>feature negotiation exploits the absence of this limitation to the
>fullest extent, yielding a framework which allows an open,
>evolutionary approach to the problem of creating a shared language in
>which to express capabilities and preferences.

Agreed that these are all related I think we have to get the
concept space right before we try to compress everything into
one unified scheme. One reason why I was skeptical of PEP was
its "all encompassing" nature which never quite appeared to be
grounded.

I think that there is a role for some king of multi-circuit
exchange protocol. I think that needs to be more general
than simply content type or even feature negotiation. I
am currently looking at assertion exchange based on common
reference terms which are essentially pure URNs except much
of the baggage associate with URNs has to be lost so I'm
using a new name.

I think we need to kick the requirements space arround a bit,
get a feel for the constraints on implementation and then look
at architecture again.

		Phill