Re: Sticky stuff.

From: stephen f white <sfwhite@incontext.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:03:05 -0400
To: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> 3. It didn't consider asymmetric bandwidth situations. In the limit that
> the downstream connection is infinite in speed and with low latency, the
> savings of 80% in request header size that your study used would be
> significant. (The most likely early deployment of cable modems will use
> ordinary telephone lines as the request channel. Phill points out that
> if other latencies are significant, then header size savings won't
> matter much -- but these kind of cable modems are pretty close to the
> infinite speed, low latency model.)

just as a datapoint, the cable modem installations in the toronto area
(which are now actual production services, not beta tests) use two-way
communication over the cable lines.  they're not assymetrical.

my opinion, not that you asked for it:   sticky headers would be pain to
implement, for little real benefit.  if the people involved really care,
i would suggest someone go ahead and code it up before discussing
it further on this list.

-=- sfw

                                                            stephen f. white
                                                        sfwhite@incontext.ca
                                    http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~sfwhite/
                            ""information highway" and "virtual reality" are
               the farts at the end of the industrial burrito"  -- ryan daum