Re: Beyond 1.1

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 17:48:35 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Peter J Churchyard <pjc@trusted.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Peter J Churchyard:

>I agree with the discussion that the http 1.1 spec is getting a bit large.
>
>I would like to see the Transfer Protocol part of HTTP be split out as
>a seperate standard from the HyperText part.
[...]
>I do beleive in the N layer model of communications protocols.

I also believe that HTTP/1.1 can be defined as an N layer protocol,
and that such a definition would be a good way to cope with the size
of 1.1.

However, making such an N layer model is no trivial task, especially
if you are not allowed to make little changes to the protocol along
the way.  I don't think this group has the manpower needed to create
an N-layer definition of 1.1 on short notice.

I hope that HTTP/2.0 will end up having a layered definition, but even
there I have my doubts about manpower requirements.

>Pete.

Koen.