Beyond 1.1

From: Peter J Churchyard <pjc@trusted.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:03:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I agree with the discussion that the http 1.1 spec is getting a bit large.

I would like to see the Transfer Protocol part of HTTP be split out as
a seperate standard from the HyperText part.

The transfer protocol spec would be about the 'wire' format,
	requests, responses, persistance, chunking.

The HyperText part would be about content negociation, cacheing,
http-attributes.

The transfer protocol spec would define the headers that are specific to
it and say that other headers will also be added by the higher levels.

I do beleive in the N layer model of communications protocols.

Pete.
--
The TIS Network Security Products Group has moved again!
voice: 301-527-9500x111  fax: 301-527-0482