Beyond 1.1

From: Peter J Churchyard <pjc@trusted.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:03:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I agree with the discussion that the http 1.1 spec is getting a bit large.

I would like to see the Transfer Protocol part of HTTP be split out as
a seperate standard from the HyperText part.

The transfer protocol spec would be about the 'wire' format,
	requests, responses, persistance, chunking.

The HyperText part would be about content negociation, cacheing,

The transfer protocol spec would define the headers that are specific to
it and say that other headers will also be added by the higher levels.

I do beleive in the N layer model of communications protocols.

The TIS Network Security Products Group has moved again!
voice: 301-527-9500x111  fax: 301-527-0482
Room 334, 15204 Omega Drive, Rockville, MD 20850