Re: caching ideas

From: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 06:57:48 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Erik Aronesty <earonesty@montgomery.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> Is there a proposal to add globally unique id's to HTTP?
> There is a noticeable lack of unique object identifiers.
>
> Large objects are often duplicated on the Web....and UID's
> assigned to largish objects would reduce traffic.

While the idea is sound, some time ago I did some measure on our
proxy cache: out of ~300 MB of files in the cache, only about 7MB
were duplicates with a different name. I only considered files with
the same size (after stripping metadata), so I might have missed
something, say text files with different end-of-line conventions;
also, this test should really be repeated on a larger data set.
Anyways, I am not very convinced that the saving are worth the
effort of handling multiple headers for the same object (while I
was *before* doing this test).

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/