New document on "HTTP/1.2 extension protocol" SOON

From: Rohit Khare <khare@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 22:47:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Henrik similarly committed that we would have a new draft out by the
end of July. We have substantially revised (simplified) our proposal
for PEP, but the spec has not been prepared to a point we are ready to
submit to this list today. It will take an additional 2-4 business
days to collect internal comments and one-on-one review from the
contributors whom we have been working with throughout July.

The teaser slug: We have removed most of the complicated and
underspecified "negotiation" and "compatibility" mechanisms of draft
-01 in favor of a simplified set of headers for using an extension
(Protocol:), requesting if an extension will be acceptable
(Protocol-Query:), advertising that a protocol is available
(Protocol-Info:).

My apologies,
Rohit Khare

Rohit Khare -- World Wide Web Consortium -- Technical Staff
w: 617/253-5884  --   f: 617/258-5999   --  h: 617/491-5030
NE43-354,  MIT LCS,  545 Tech Square,  Cambridge,  MA 02139