Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-http-state-mgmt-03.txt, .ps

   From: Robert A. Lentz <lentz@annie.astro.nwu.edu>
   Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:44:44 -0500 (CDT)

   Greetings,

   The current cookie proposal appears insufficient to assure a secure
   environment for providing state management in an authenticated system
   where multiple users have access to the same single-user machine.

I believe there are a number of solutions to this problem, none of
which require changes to the protocol.

One example would be to store the user's password as part of the
session info on the server, and use it to encrypt/decrypt the cookie.
When the first student ends their session (or it times out), the
cookie stored on the browser side becomes meaningless until replaced
with a cookie for a new session.

Joe

----
Joseph Arceneaux