Re: The Title header

From: David W. Morris <dwm@shell.portal.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:20:22 -0700 (PDT)
To: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Cc: jg@zorch.w3.org, Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>, 'Gisle Aas' <aas@a.sn.no>, "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>, "'http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com'" <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, John Franks wrote:

> In fact, I would find an argument to make it mandatory persuasive.

I wouldn't be happy about any change to http which made analysis of the
content of a file mandatory. We should not demand that servers
analyze HTML.

And in current practice, my experience as the designer of a search
tool is that titles are used to provide meaningful captions on browser
screens not sumarize the document content which would be useful for
search engines.

I haven't looked at the mime spec so it may already agree with me ... but
if HTTP were to include a header relating to title or document content
it should be clearly a document description which might be provided by
a server and might (NOT mandatory) be provided by content analysis or
meta data stored by the server external to the document. It should not
be directly specified as being a particular element of a particular
content type.

Dave Morris