Re: Any interest in automatic link-updating?

From: Joseph Arceneaux <jla@arceneaux.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 17:08 PDT
To: dwm@shell.portal.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
   Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "David W. Morris" <dwm@shell.portal.com>

   b.  I have a shipping product which includes a built in reference to
       an unrelated external site. This product will make thousands of
       users into micro-web servers w/o any ability to deal with any form
       of automatic notification. I only offer this as the penultimate
       example of difficulty which needs to be considered (and makes me
       think our maintenance release should have a way to deal with
       broken imbeded links...)

   Dave Morris

I don't see link update as neccessarily part of the protocol, except
perhaps for requiring more strict adherrence to providing certain
headers (e.g., the "Last-Modified" field).

My online product consists of a large database of URLs.  Part of my
offering is alerting customers to movement or change in the link
targets.  To do this, I batch run some custom link-verification code.
This works pretty well.

Joseph Arceneaux
Arceneaux Consulting

+1 415 648 9988 (direct)