Re: Any interest in automatic link-updating?

At 16:31 -0400 96.07.13, James Marshall wrote:
>Is anyone interested in a simple mod to HTTP to allow more efficient link
>updating when a 301 response occurs?  I once designed an addition to HTTP
>to allow updating of referrers the first time any user follows an old
>link, rather than waiting on (at best?) a periodic link-check performed by
>the server.
>
>I designed it as an exercise; now that I have it, and we're in
>1.2-issues-phase, I thought I'd ask the WG if there's any interest.  Is
>there enough long-term efficiency gain to warrant a change to the
>protocol?  Implementors of link-editing HTTP servers, does this appeal to
>you at all?

I agree that updating broken links is a useful feature in a web server.  But why does this need to be addressed in the standard?  Is this really anything more than a useful utility for webmasters  ( as opposed to a client-server communication issue which must be addressed in the standard )?

Apologies in advance if I'm just being dense :-)

Vance Huntley

Director of Technology & GenesisJive Guy
WebGenesis, Inc., Ithaca, NY 14850

vance@webgenesis.com --- 607.255.8499

Check out "The Globe"!  ---  http://www.theglobe.com/