Re: Any interest in automatic link-updating?

From: David W. Morris <dwm@shell.portal.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
To: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, James Marshall wrote:

> Is anyone interested in a simple mod to HTTP to allow more efficient link
> updating when a 301 response occurs?  I once designed an addition to HTTP

I would be interested ... if the WG wanted to consider the possiblity
but I can anticipate several concerns which might be difficult to
resolve:

a.  The referer is often unrelated to the owner or the refered document.
    In that role, I would not want automatic update of anything on
    my site w/o some very careful controls.

b.  I have a shipping product which includes a built in reference to
    an unrelated external site. This product will make thousands of
    users into micro-web servers w/o any ability to deal with any form
    of automatic notification. I only offer this as the penultimate
    example of difficulty which needs to be considered (and makes me
    think our maintenance release should have a way to deal with
    broken imbeded links...)

Dave Morris