Any interest in automatic link-updating?

From: James Marshall <jsm@crl.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 13:31:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Is anyone interested in a simple mod to HTTP to allow more efficient link
updating when a 301 response occurs?  I once designed an addition to HTTP
to allow updating of referrers the first time any user follows an old
link, rather than waiting on (at best?) a periodic link-check performed by
the server.

I designed it as an exercise; now that I have it, and we're in
1.2-issues-phase, I thought I'd ask the WG if there's any interest.  Is
there enough long-term efficiency gain to warrant a change to the
protocol?  Implementors of link-editing HTTP servers, does this appeal to
you at all?

Cheers,
James Marshall
jsm@crl.com