Re: multi-host virtual sites for HTTP 1.2

Paul Leach writes:

| Maybe a DNS guru can comment? Or a friend of one can forward it along?
| I'd hate to duplicate the functionality.

I'm not a DNS guru, but here's my two new pence's worth anyway...

The docs in question are: draft-gulbrandsen-dns-rr-srvcs-03.txt &
RFC 1876, by the way.

LOC is supported in BIND 4.9.4, which is the current production
release.  SRV has been slated for BIND 4.9.5, which is meant to be
coming out later this year.  One of the co-authors, Paul Vixie, is
also the BIND maintainer.  For more info, check out the Internet
Software Consortium Web pages at <URL:http://www.isc.org/isc/>

OK, so SRV can be expected to see the light of day quite soon in
the most widely used DNS implementation.  Can I interest any
browser and/or proxy authors in taking advantage of it ?  Methinks
added resilience via SRV would be a good selling point ... :-)

Martin

PS There was also something about putting SRV up for Proposed
Standard

ielding[SMTP:fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU]