Re: multi-host virtual sites for HTTP 1.2

From: David W. Morris <dwm@shell.portal.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 23:39:37 -0700 (PDT)
To: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

> syntax truly extensible, support automated mirroring, support URNs,
> etc.), but I haven't considered single-site performance to be one
> of them.

I think the power of Pauls suggestion is the ability to create a
single virtual server which is physically distributed around the
world. Heavily used subtrees can be replicated via mechanisms outside
of the scope of HTTP while others continue to be served from a
central site.

By use of expiration, the real servers can change much like 800#
associations can change on a scheduled basis.

Sounds worth pursuing further to me.

Dave Morris