Re: multi-host virtual sites for HTTP 1.2

From: S.R. Venkatramanan <S.Venkatramanan@eng.sun.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 15:47:28 -0700
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, paulle@microsoft.com
Cc: S.Venkatramanan@eng.sun.com

> From http-wg-request@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com Tue Jul  9 15:24 PDT 1996
>
> With the Host: header in HTTP/1.1 it is possible to efficiently and
> easily make a single host act as many "virtual" Web sites.
>
> What I'd like to see in HTTP/1.2 is the ability to easily and
> efficiently make multiple hosts act like a single virtual Web site, so
> that one can build huge web sites.

I think this is just an implementation, or rather, a site setup/administration
problem than a protocol defeciency.  How about using a round-robin DNS
to map the hostname to multiple irons, use the power of such multiple
hosts in the cluster to serve nfs mounted files from the same or similar pool.

This will not necessitate redirection with Location: header;  the name
megasoft.com becomes virtual and need not be heavily loaded; the contents
need not be replicated as they are all NFS mounted and hence distributed
in the network (may be high speed because they are all potentially co-located).

May be there are some other issues I am missing in this simpleton approach.

s.r.

S.R.Venkatramanan				raven@Eng.Sun.COM
Staff Engineer					(415)786-9106
Internet Solutions Engineering			2550 Garcia Ave, M/S UMPK16-120
Sun Microsystems, Inc (SunSoft)			Mountain View, CA 94043-1100