Re: proposed HTTP changes for charset

From: Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:16:58 -0500
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Larry informs us that he wants to close the issues of charset and
language in warning headers (and for content, I assume), because
there has been enough review by the group.

As for the Warning: header, I haven't seen any discussion.  Have I
missed anything?  For the record, I did raise the issue at the
Montreal IETF (although the minutes do not mention it), and at least
twice on this list.

As for content labelling, it certainly was reviewed, but I am left
with the impression that the basic issue (is ISO 8859-1 acceptable
as a default) was not resolved.  Anyway, it was not a relaxed and
serene discussion, so I am sure glad it is over.

I personnally find it unfortunate that HTTP/1.1 will end up doing
nothing to fix the current brokenness and will remain artificially
biased, but it seems there is nothing more I can do about it.  So be
it !

Regards,
--
Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>