Strange proxy behavior

From: Drazen Kacar <dave@fly.cc.fer.hr>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 18:19:43 +0200 (MET DST)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I wrote an nph CGI program which outputs headers in this order:

Server:
Last-modified:

Neither Netscape proxy 2.0b4 nor CERN httpd 3.0 (acting as proxy) kept
entity body in the cache. Then I looked at server output and rearranged
headers to this order:

Server:
Last-modified:
And entity body was cached. HTTP 1.0 says this:

   The order in which header fields are received is not significant.
   However, it is "good practice" to send General-Header fields first,
   followed by Request-Header or Response-Header fields prior to the
   Entity-Header fields.

Last-modified, content-type & content-length are all entity headers.
Is there a small print somewhere in the spec that requires this behavior?
If there isn't, I think there should be a warning about this in the
specifications. I was checking what they do with Pragma: no-cache directive.
I'd never notice it otherwise.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

dave@fly.cc.fer.hr