TRACE as traceroute

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 96 14:07:30 EDT
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
<asbestos>

One of the reputed purposes of the TRACE method is (I believe) a
traceroute-like mechanism through Web proxies.  To that end, I think it
would be useful if proxies added a timestamp to the Via: header that
they add to a TRACE response.  Because comments are allowed in the Via:
syntax, this could actually be done without changing the protocol. (But
it would be nice to permit more than one comment by changing the syntax
from "comment" to "*comment".)

</asbestos>

Any errr... comments?
Dave Kristol