Re: Minor edits to draft 04

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 09:26:17 EDT
To: fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU> wrote on Fri, 07 Jun 1996 15:53:16 -0700:

  > [...]
  > Section 14.10 (Connection), third paragraph to end
  > [...]
  >   When a client wishes to close a persistent connection it SHOULD send a
  >   close connection-token, :
  >
  >        Connection: close
  >

  > NEEDS to be
  >
  > [...]
  >
  >   HTTP/1.1 applications that do not support persistent connections
  >   MUST include the "close" connection option in every message.

[I know these comments are too late for ID05....]

Just a nit, but I think SHOULD is more appropriate here than MUST.  We
have long agreed that applications must be prepared for the connection
to close connections anyway, so there's small advantage to an
application's receiving the "close".  It's merely cleaner, IMO.

Dave Kristol