Re: Content negotiation and Vary (1.3, 12, 13.5, 14.43)

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 13:05:04 -0700
To: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> Just a thought -- now that we have the "representation" word (which I
> like), isn't what gets negotiated the representation, not the content?
> I.e., we could replace "content negotiation" with "representation
> negotiation" everywhere.

Because what is going on is negotiation of which representation is
included within the content of the response.  I don't think that
replacing the now-common terminology with something fairly circular
would help much; in any case, I think negotiation is pretty much done
now and we should shift our focus to other things that need it more.

.....Roy