Re: 12, 14.43: resource arguments and conneg

From: Paul Burchard <burchard@cs.princeton.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 96 22:30:45 -0400
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: jg@w3.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, fielding@ics.uci.edu
Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com> writes:
> All your missing is that the text apparently doesn't say
> something that we all assume, which one might otherwise write as:
>
>	Vary: {entity-body}, {method}
>
> that is, responses always depend on the entity body and the
> method, even when the results are cachable (as with cachable
> POSTs.)

Right...though this example shows why it may be worth spelling out
the assumptions.  The "argument" of a method consists of not just
the bare entity body in the request, but also any associated *entity
headers* (as caches must be aware).  So the "understood variation"
of a response must be (to use your notation):

   Vary: {request-URI}, {method}, {{entity-headers}, {entity-body}}

Paul Burchard	<burchard@cs.princeton.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''