Re: Section 14.36 Range, and PUTs

From: <jg@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 31 May 96 21:04:32 -0400
To: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, jg@w3.org
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't a PUT + Range be exactly
symmetric to GET?  The range information would specify which range to
replace (If multiple ranges, you'd have to transmit a Multipart message
to contain the ranges).

This would be very useful for updating parts of large objects.

I don't have much against forbidding it given we've not thought it through
significantly, for 1.1, but wonder if we should be that draconian.

This does beg the question of what DELETE + Range should do; probably
best to say it is illegal.

Any other opinions?
				- Jim