Secton 3.12.1

From: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 14:21:32 -0700
To: "'http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com'" <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
The last sentence of section 3.12.1 says: "HTTP/1.1 implementations may
ignore ranges specified using other units [than 'bytes']."

I think that they might be able to ignore a Range _header_ on a GET, and
return the whole entity, but that's not such a good idea on PUT, because
it would clobber the whole entity with something that was intended to
replace only a part. Hence, I think talking about ignoring range units
is difficult out of context of where they are used, which is what this
section attempts.

I think this sentence should be deleted, and any appropriate error
handling info added to the Range: header section. There isn't isn't any
now -- I'll think about that and post a message.
Paul J. Leach            Email: paulle@microsoft.com
Microsoft                Phone: 1-206-882-8080
1 Microsoft Way          Fax:   1-206-936-7329
Redmond, WA 98052