Re: EDITS for Section 13.20 (Cache Replacement for Varying Resources)

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 10:57:42 -0700
To: jg@w3.org
Cc: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>, "'koen@win.tue.nl'" <koen@win.tue.nl>, "'http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com'" <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
> We do have to define, if something is cached,
> which cached item and under what circumstances the cached item
> can and should be returned to satisfy a request. It is not clear
No, we only need to define what can be returned -- "should" is a judgement
call that no standard is capable of making for this case.  It is more
important that the standard not place unreasonable constraints on
implementations than it is that the standard act as a tutorial
for how implementors can do these things.  The latter is the purpose
of books and informational documents, not standards.

Just delete section 13.20 -- it is a waste of effort.

.....Roy