Re: EDITS for Section 5 (Request) (Was: Re: 5.1.2 Request-URI)

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 13:11:26 -0400
To: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Cc: fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Dave Kristol writes:

> Furthermore, I have assumed that HTTP/2.0 would not be ASCII-based, so
> it doesn't make sense to talk about sending an absoluteURI to a 2.0
> server.

I don't think there will be a non-ASCII based protocol ready for version 2.0.
The current transition path I see is to have a 2.0 with support for underlying
multiplexing but still ASCII based. The main problem is to get persistent
connections efficient enough to dramatically reduce the perceived time to
render. Before this happens we can not tell people to seriously reduce the
amount of open connections pr Web application.