Re: EDITS for Section 13.20 (Cache Replacement for Varying Resources)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 16:12:08 PDT
To: koen@win.tue.nl
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I know I didn't complain about it on the telephone, but I'm disturbed
by the elimination of opaque entity validators and their replacement
with variant-IDs. It seems to me that varying resources that might
have variant-IDs might as well have URIs, and that the opaque
validator corresponds more to the current frequent access model in the
cases there there is not a variant-ID URI.

As a process point, all of this last-minute modification to the actual
protocol (as opposed to the terminology and documentation of the
protocol) is very disturbing.  I think I'm going to take as given that
we've slipped our schedule, and that we'll have to come up with a new
one. (Please respond about process issues separately.)

Larry