Re: HTTP 1.1 document terminology.

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 18:43:12 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Jim Gettys <jg@w3.org>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Jim Gettys:

Jim,

Your new terminology definitions look very good.  I include some minor
nitpicks below.

>resource
>
>A network data object or service that can be identified by a URI
>(section 7.2).  When represented electronically, a resource may be
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>either a plain resource, which corresponds to only one possible
>representation, or a generic resource.

`When represented electronically' can be removed.  Better still, it
can be replaced by `At any point in time'.

>generic resource
>
>A resource that is a set of closely related representations of the
>same document, form, applet, etc. A generic resource is always
>identified by a URI. The individual representations may each be
>identified by a unique URI, or by the combination of the generic
>resource's URI and a variant-ID, or by the combination of the generic
>resource's URI and some "content-negotiation" mechanism.  In this
>case, other URIs may exist which identify a resource more
                                             ^^^^^^^^
>specifically.

You probably mean `representation', not `resource', here.

Koen.