Re: 5.1.2 Request-URI

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 03:59:27 -0700
To: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> I said "particularly for an origin server".  I believe an *origin
> server* sees either a relativeURI or an absoluteURI in the form of an
> http_URL on the request line.  I'm trying to nail down what an origin
> server should expect to see.  It should be specified somewhere.

No, it doesn't need to be specified anywhere beyond the syntax
limitations already specified.  The server is capable of controlling
its own namespace, period.  The protocol does not make any additional
limitations where none are needed, particularly when they would hinder
use of HTTP outside the typical Internet browser realm.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/