Re: NULL-Request (Sect. 4.1)

From: Maurizio Codogno <mau@beatles.cselt.stet.it>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:24:31 +0200
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: dmk@allegra.att.com
Dave Kristol says

% Having begun this thread, and in the interests of closure, I want to
% make a proposal that draws on remarks by Paul Leach and Jeff Mogul.
%
% 1) Remove references to NULL-Request.
%
% 2) In Sect. 5, where it now says "A NULL-Request MUST be ignored,"
% substitute the following:
% "In the interest of robustness, HTTP/1.1 servers SHOULD ignore
% null request lines (ones that comprise just CRLF)."

I may be wrong, but I think that at the moment there is no 1.1 client
which sends the spurious CRLF. So, couldn't we say

"In the interest of robustness, HTTP/1.1 servers SHOULD ignore
null request lines (ones that comprise just CRLF) from HTTP/1.0 clients"

together with "HTTP/1.1 clients MUST NOT generate a NULL-Request"

(and maybe say something about proxies which MUST eliminate
NULL-Requests)??

.mau.