3.17.2 Byte Ranges

From: Ted Hardie <hardie@merlot.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
In Section 3.17.2, the spec says that the if a last-byte-pos value is
larger than the current length of the entity, it is assumed to be
equal to the current length of the entity.  From my reading, a server
would thus send first-byte-pos to the end of entity.

I'm afraid this behavior doesn't make sense to me.  It seems to me
that this should be treated as an invalid byte-range-spec, and that
the recipient should ignore it and send back the entire entity.

The sender already has a method of requesting from first-byte-pos to
the end of the entity (by leaving off the the last-byte-pos), and
I don't understand why we want to duplicate this behavior in response
to what looks like an error.

				Ted Hardie