Re: 5.1.2 Request-URI

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 11:02:59 EDT
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I said earlier:
> 5.1.2 says:
>              Request-URI    = "*" | absoluteURI | abs_path
>
> The intent is to require a specific form of absoluteURI, but the syntax
> at 3.2.1:
>              absoluteURI    = scheme ":" *( uchar | reserved )
> allows something much broader.
>
> What can/should we say about "scheme"?

It's clear I wasn't clear about what I meant to say....

I would think that for the *http* specification, particularly for an
origin server, there are the following additional requirements that
are currently unstated:

- absoluteURI must be an http_URL (3.2.2)
- (should https_URL and shttp_URL also be mentioned?)
- host must be the FQDN of the host to which the request is sent

Dave Kristol