OPTIONS/absoluteURI/*, Sect. 5.1.2

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 16:29:51 EDT
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Does it make sense to ask for OPTIONS * for a particular virtual host
on a server?  Suppose foo.com offers hosting for a.com and b.com on its
server.  I can make this request:
	Host: a.com

Suppose I know that the server at foo.com (a.com) supports HTTP/1.1.
How do I make the above request without using a Host header?  Like
	OPTIONS http://a.com HTTP/1.1

The words in 5.1.2 don't say what to do if abs_path in an absoluteURI
sent to an origin server is null.  (For that matter, 5.1.2 doesn't
really discuss how an origin server interprets absoluteURI or what
forms are valid, as I indicated in an earlier message.)  If the answer
for null abs_path is, "the same thing as for proxy servers", then my
guess above is right.  Which means the choice for default abs_path is

Dave Kristol