Re: NULL-Request (Sect. 4.1)

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 15:12:48 -0700
To: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> I believe NULL-Request was added to handle the lingering CRLF following
> a POSTed entity body.  It may have an unexpected and unintended
> interaction with persistent connections:  because the NULL-Request has
> no HTTP-Version and no Connection header, the server is obliged to
> close the connection after servicing the NULL-Request.

Well, Dave, I must say that you have a perverse way of reading specs
that discovers problems I would never even dream of.  ;-)
I've noticed that some implementers manage to derive similar
interpretations, so I'm glad you find them first.

Any thoughts as to what/where words need to be added to prevent this
unfortunate event?