Re: cookie draft available

From: M. Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 15:41:28 -0700 (PDT)
To: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: hallam@w3.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Simon Spero wrote:
> Disk space is about 1,000 times cheaper than flash ram, and gets cheaper
> the more you buy it. When you can store 1K of date for a million users
> for a hundred dollars or so, it's much better to keep the data on the
> server.

Okay, so we should throw out the cookie draft?  I'm not saying your point
of view is ridiculous, I'm just saying that there are cases in which
clientside data is desirable.

> If the server needs the data for correct operation, they should look
> after it, unless the client volunteers to keep it of its own volition.

I didn't say the server _needed_ the data for correct operation.  What I
said was the user will expect that preferences they set will be saved.
Allowing a low threshhold for discarding cookies goes against least
surprise.  (Again, I'd rather have _no_ automatic discards for cookies the
user has decided to keep.)

Marc Hedlund <marc@organic.com> <hedlund@best.com>