Re: Several Content-Encodings

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:16:59 PDT
To: guillaum@clipper.ens.fr
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> HTTP/1.0 does not support multiple content-encodings.
> HTTP/1.1 suggests an implementation of multiple content-encodings which
> is broken; the ordering of the encodings is not defined. I'm sure I
> mentioned this on http-wg, but I can't remeber the outcome. Roy?

> Can Section 4.2 make an exception about ordering for the Content-Encoding
> headers, or is this too ugly ?

If we're going to make exceptions, it would be more usual to say that
'Content-Encoding' can only occur once, and that if there are multiple
encodings, they must appear ordered and comma separated in a single

In any case, if HTTP/1.1 is going to support multiple
content-encodings, this must be resolved, else we'll revert to the 1.0
situation and try again in 1.2.

I'll make sure this gets on the issues list.