Re: Issue: CHARSET, character sets and charset

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 18:53:56 -0700
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Everything else looks fine, though it may be editorially difficult
to make sensible sentences with just "charset".

> [** These tokens don't seem to correspond to the tokens used by most
> of the multilingual servers in the world today!!! Why don't we fix
> them to match? EUC, Shift-JIS, Big5, GB...  It was my impression that
> we might get IANA to assign a canonical and get out of this buisness.
> Why can't we do this? **]

Because we can't do it until IANA does it [or at least puts in place
the initial list and procedures for additions].  Can you work on getting
that done via the appropriate channels?

> [** I note that there was a change suggested that 'the character set
> of an entity body should be labeled as the lowest common denominator
> of the character codes used within that body, with the exception that
> no label is preferred over the labels US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1', and
> object to this wording as confusing and unnecessary, and wonder why it
> was put in. **]

That exists (as per a request on the mailing list long ago) to preserve
backwards compatibility with 1.0 clients.  It is needed because the
old MIME specs prefer explicit naming, which breaks many 1.0 systems.
I don't see what is confusing about it.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/