Re: (ACCEPT*) Last call on draft text for Accept headers

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 17:05:25 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: greenwd@openmarket.com, koen@win.tue.nl, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Koen Holtman:
>Tim Greenwood:
[...]
>>The proposal was intended not as a simplification, but as a
>>clarification. Your comment is correct, my proposal would have
>>excluded a match that should be allowed. The text in 10.4 should
>>still be rewritten to use the syntax defined in 3.10. The current
>>text uses the term 'a prefix' which is not defined.
>
>Ah, so _that_ is the problem.  I assumed that 'prefix' was standard
>computing terminology, but apparantly it is not.  (Prefix means
>"initial part of a string".)  I'll see if I can find an alternative
>wording.

OK, here is what I have come up with:  the old sentence

   A language-range matches a language-tag if it exactly equals the tag,
   or if it is a prefix of the tag such that the first tag character
   following the prefix is "-".

is replaced with

   A language-range matches a language-tag if it exactly equals the
   tag, or if it exactly equals a prefix (a sub-sequence starting at
   the first character) of the tag such that the first tag character
   following the prefix is "-".

I also tried to write text which completely avoided the use of the
word `prefix', but that text turned out to be less intelligible.

I will assume that this change solves the problem until I hear
otherwise.

On a related note: I'm currently also working with Jim Gettys to
simplify a few sentences in the proposed Accept header draft text.  I
will post a revised version once we are finished.

Koen.