Re: (ACCEPT*) Last call on draft text for Accept headers

From: Tim Greenwood <greenwood@openmarket.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 14:53:42 +0000
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, greenwd@openmarket.com
Koen Holtman wrote

> I believe your proposal for simplification is based on a misreading of
> the syntax definition of language tags.  The current rule needs to be
> this complicated because there can be more than one subtag.
>
> The matching rule currently defined will allow the range "i-sami" to
> match the tag "i-sami-da".  Your proposed simplification will not
> allow this.

The proposal was intended not as a simplification, but as a
clarification. Your comment is correct, my proposal would have
excluded a match that should be allowed. The text in 10.4 should
still be rewritten to use the syntax defined in 3.10. The current
text uses the term 'a prefix' which is not defined. It could be
interpreted to allow a match of a language range to any but the last
subtag of a language-tag. Thus

Accept-Language:cy     (Welsh)

could match el-cy-x   (Greek in Cyprus with some other subtag).

Tim Greenwood        Open Market Inc
617 679 0320         greenwd@openmarket.com